eLangdell® Press, an open publishing initiative of the Center for Computer-Assisted Legal Instruction (CALI) is seeking proposals for full-length academic law casebooks or chapters.
This is your chance to be recognized as a pioneer of the open, digital casebook. eLangdell® Press publishes open casebooks, casebook chapters and supplements for law school courses to adopt and use. After review and editing by our Editorial Committee and CALI staff, casebooks are given a Creative Commons license that allows them to be remixed and reused by law professors and students without fear of copyright violations. The books are then published DRM-free in a variety of digital formats (compatible with almost every reader) on the CALI eLangdell® Press website and available for download at absolutely no cost to students or professors. They even come in print!
Proposal and Publishing Details:
- Proposals are subject to review and approval by an editorial committee.
- Casebook or Casebook chapters previously self-published (e.g. via SSRN) will be considered.
- Authors must be tenured or tenure track faculty at a CALI member school.
- Compensation for individual chapters will be $500 per chapter. Compensation for full books will be negotiated separately for each book.
- Your finalized chapter or book should include end-of-chapter comments and questions and teaching notes (i.e. a teaching manual) to assist other faculty in the adoption of your material.
- Your proposal should include:
- Author’s current CV
- A sample chapter OR an outline of a chapter and written exercise that you have given to your students in the past. We prefer to NOT receive a law review article as writing sample.
- A brief statement detailing why you have chosen eLangdell® Press as your publisher
- The outline for entire book. Please indicate if the chapter or book is already completed, in progress or in idea stage.
Proposals are due by October 15, 2013.
Questions? Send proposals & questions about eLangdell Press to Deb Quentel, CALI Director of Curriculum Development: firstname.lastname@example.org or 312-906-5353
A PDF of this Call for Proposals is available for download here:eLangdellCallForProposals Please feel free to print and post and share widely.